Hi again, Amanda from ‘Simple home cook’ here. Today I am sharing one of my weeknight ‘go to ‘ recipes.Pumpkin
I have been eating this since I was a kid and now own kids ask for it all the time. It only uses only a few ingredients, tastes amazing and is healthy too. What more could you want out of a recipe!
I used to make this recipe by adding milk at the end but I have done away with the milk as it just isn’t necessary. I have included in the recipe as optional for those who feel like they might want to add it.
When taking photos for this recipe I made a double batch so I could freeze half for another night. The perfect recipe in my opinion.
- 4kg Jap or Kent pumpkin, peeled and chopped into large chunks
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 large onion, peeled & diced
- 150g bacon pieces
- ¼ cup milk (optional)
- In a large saucepan over high heat, add the pumpkin and chicken stock. Bring to the boil then reduce to medium heat.
- In a large microwave safe bowl, add onion and bacon. Cover and microwave on high for 2 mins. Stir, then microwave for a further 2 mins.
- Add the cooked onion and bacon to the boiling pumpkin and stir through.
- Cook for 20 mins or until pumpkin is very soft. Remove from heat.
- Using a stick mixer, blend up the contents of the saucepan until smooth. OPTIONAL ** add milk and blend until smooth. If it is too thick, add a little more water until you reach your desired consistency.