As you might have guessed… the secret ingredient is one packet of Lipton Onion Soup mix. But don’t let this simple recipe fool you. It’s a family favorite in our house.
Plus, it makes plenty of leftovers for meatloaf sandwiches, meatloaf chili, or meatloaf spaghetti. Or simply pair it up with few new side dishes. Mashed potatoes, mac & cheese, and sweet potato fries are a few favorites around our house.
Tips & Tricks for Making the Best Meatloaf
- Want to make meatloaf sandwiches? Just place a slice of leftover meatloaf in between your choice of bread. Top it with mayo, onions, pickles, and all your favorite toppings. Delicious.
- Apart from onion soup mix, you could also try other soup mixes to flavor the beef. Onion and mushroom soup mix, herb with garlic soup mix, and beefy onion soup mix all make fantastic alternatives!
- Want to try this in a slow cooker? Go ahead! Cover the meatloaf in a piece of cheesecloth, place it on a rack, then into the slow cooker it goes. This technique will hold the meatloaf together as you take it in and out of the slow cooker. Cook the meatloaf on high for 4 hours or on low for 6-8 hours.
- Want to cut back on calories? Use ground turkey instead of beef, egg beater in place of the eggs, and homemade whole wheat breadcrumbs instead of white breadcrumbs.
- Add some chopped parsley to the recipe to give your meatloaf more flavor and color.
- Give your meatloaf some extra flavor by seasoning it with Italian spices and Parmesan cheese. Yum!
- Instead of ketchup, you can also use your favorite spaghetti sauce instead. Top the meatloaf with additional spaghetti sauce as it bakes for an incredibly moist, irresistible loaf.
How to Make Lipton Onion Soup Meatloaf
With just 6 ingredients, you can whip up this family favorite any day of the week!
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 packet dry onion soup mix
- 2 eggs (beaten)
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups breadcrumbs
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a 13 x 9 baking pan or roasting pan with foil. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, ketchup, water, and soup mix. Mix until combined.
- Add the breadcrumbs and ground beef. Mix well.
- Form into a loaf and place meatloaf into the pan.
- Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Let stand for 10 minutes. Then serve and enjoy!