This delicious keto soup recipe tastes more amazing than you can imagine. Queso Keto Taco Soup Recipe is rich, creamy, and packed with tons of bold taco flavor. It reminds me of my favorite queso dip in soup form. You are going to love this and keep it on regular rotation in your low-carb meal plan. I’ve also included instructions for the Instant Pot or Crockpot.
t is hard to believe that you can eat food that tastes exactly like queso dip and lose weight. I would have never believed it if I hadn’t been experiencing it myself. This Easy Taco Soup Recipe became a favorite of ours very quickly and has since become one of the most popular recipes I’ve posted. It’s super easy to whip up and tastes even better the second day if you happen to have any leftovers.
Tip: I’ve recently made a homemade taco seasoning you can substitute instead of the taco seasoning packet. You can find the recipe here.
Simple Ingredients for Queso Keto Taco Soup:
This recipe comes together so quickly with just a few simple ingredients that you likely already have in your pantry. While there isn’t any cheese in the ingredients, this low-carb taco soup recipe tastes so much like queso dip. I’m not sure if it is the cream cheese and taco seasoning together, but everyone loves this soup even if they aren’t eating keto.
- ground beef – I prefer an 80/20 blend
- onion – add to the ground beef mixture for added flavor
- Rotel Tomatoes (or diced tomatoes with green chilis) – It’s simply a can of diced tomatoes with green chilis already added.
- cream cheese – adds creaminess and fat
- beef broth – the base of the soup you can also use homemade beef bone broth
- heavy cream – also adds creaminess, fat, and flavor
- seasonings – gives the bold taco flavor
Start by browning the ground beef and onion in a large pot or dutch oven over medium heat. If you prefer, you can sub ground turkey instead for this keto-friendly taco soup.
Pro Tip: One way to save time when cooking dinner is to brown ground beef in advance and store it in the freezer. It makes sense to go ahead and brown more than one pound at a time, and it makes cooking meals like this low-carb taco soup even easier. I simply grab a pound out of the freezer, defrost, and throw in the rest of the ingredients. You can find this and other tips in 5 Simple Keto Meal Prep Ideas.
The cream cheese mixes in easier if it is at room temperature or softened in the microwave first. Make sure that the cream cheese and ground beef are combined completely before adding additional ingredients.
Add the rest of the ingredients, then stir to combine and simmer so all the flavors can merge together.
Yum! This is the absolute perfect keto taco soup recipe. It’s so nice to have dinner ready quickly, especially on busy nights when I don’t want to cook.
Can I Make it in the Slow Cooker?
While some suggest throwing all the ingredients in the crockpot for Taco Soup, dairy products such as heavy cream and cream cheese can curdle if added before the last hour of cooking time. To ensure the best quality of this recipe, I would suggest adding the drained browned ground beef, diced onion, beef broth, diced tomatoes, and spices first. Allow it to slow cook for 2 hours on high or 4 hours on low. Finally, add the softened cream cheese and heavy cream during the last hour of cooking.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 6 oz cream cheese, softened
- 2 10oz cans of Rotel
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 1/2 cups beef broth
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 packet of taco seasoning or my homemade taco seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- Brown ground beef and onions together, then drain.
- In a large saucepan, add ground beef and softened cream cheese on low/medium heat. Stir together to mix well before adding any other ingredients
- Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer on low for 30 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Optional: Serve topped with freshly grated cheese, sour cream, jalapenos, and/or guacamole.