A delicious, healthy and easy cabbage soup recipe that’s ready in under 15 minutes.
Cabbage Soup is a bit of an acquired taste. I didn’t like it as a kid but I love it now. Especially versions that have sauerkraut in them. That salty briny cabbage is one of my favorite things.
CABBAGE AND CARAWAY SEEDS
This soup as well as has caraway seeds, and that I love. In fact, I love caraway seeds so much that I’ve been known to sprinkle them onto slices of buttered rye bread to create that flavor stronger. And I’ve as well as sprinkled them on cheese to the approximate the caraway-studded Havarti my parents used to buy when I was a kid. I can’t find it at our stores so this DIY version is the only way to do it.
Caraway seeds taste mostly good with cabbage and that is why I decided to add them here. I’ll take any excuse!
MAKING CABBAGE SOUP QUICKER
Today’s Cabbage Soup is part of my SOUPin15 series, meaning that it’s a homemade soup that’s ready in under 15 minutes. The Superchip that makes it ready so fast is to use a bagged coleslaw mix containing shredded cabbage and to the carrots. You won’t use a dressing here though. You’re just taking advantage of the thinly sliced cabbage and carrot mixture.
Using the coleslaw mixture is great for two reasons. First, you don’t have to do anything to the prep the cabbage and carrots other than open the bag. Second, it’s all very thinly sliced so it cooks really quickly.
This soup is cabbage based and so it uses a lot of the coleslaw mix (a whole bag). But you can add a smaller amount to any soup to boost its healthy vegetable component. It’s great in tomato-based soups. For instance, it would be really wonderful added to the this Bean and the Bacon Soup or added to this Hearty Tomato Potato Soup.
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 6 cups low or no-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 16 oz. shredded coleslaw mix (with green cabbage, red cabbage and carrots)
- 1 large onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tsp. caraway seeds
- 1/2 tsp. coarse black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 and 1/2 cups canned or jarred sauerkraut (measured before draining)
- Put the olive oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Measure to the chicken broth into a large microwave-safe bowl and put it in the microwave for 6 minutes. To the olive oil add to the shredded coleslaw mix. Stir and cover.
- Chop the onion. Add it to the cabbage. Stir and cover.
- Mince the garlic clove. Add it to the pot along with the caraway seeds, pepper and salt.
- Stir and cover, continuing to let it cook until the broth has finished heating in the microwave.
- Add to the hot broth the to cabbage mixture. Increase heat to high. Stir and cover until it comes to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer. Use a colander to drain the sauerkraut. Add it to the soup. Continue to the simmer the soup until the cabbage is tender, all over 5 more minutes. Season with more salt and pepper to taste.
Also read ; -soup/https://souphuge.com/corned-beef-and-cabbage-soup/